Skip the pot of hot oil and make these better air fryer doughnuts. If you’ve ever had a baked doughnut, brace yourself. These are SO much healthier. Instead of tasting similar to a cake, shaped like a doughnut, each of these tastes like freshly fried classic glazed doughnuts. Straight from the air fryer, they’ll look a little more similar to bagels, but all changes once you dip them in glaze and top with rainbow sprinkles.
Air Fryer Doughnuts
FOR THE DONUTS
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar, divided
1 (0.25-oz.) packet or 2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
4 tbsp. melted butter
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
FOR THE VANILLA GLAZE
1 c. powdered sugar
2 oz. milk
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tbsp. milk
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. melted butter
MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS
- First of all grease a large bowl with cooking spray. In a little, microwave-safe bowl or glass measuring cup, add milk. Microwave until lukewarm, 40 seconds. Add a teaspoon of sugar plus stir to dissolve, next sprinkle over the yeast and let sit until frothy, about eight minutes.
- After in a medium bowl, whisk together flour plus salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup sugar, butter, egg, with vanilla. Pour in yeast mixture, mix to combine, next add in dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms.
- Then transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and simply slightly tacky, adding more flour a teaspoon at a time if needed, about five minutes. Form into a ball then put the dough in an oiled bowl plus cover with a clean dishtowel. Let dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about one hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray. Punch down dough, then turn onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a ½ » thick rectangle.
- Then using a doughnut cutter or 3″ and 1″ biscuit cutters, punch out your doughnuts. Knead any scraps together plus punch out more doughnuts or holes. Put doughnuts and holes onto baking sheets, cover by dish towel, and let rise again, 40 minutes to 1 hour more.
- After grease basket of the air fryer with cooking spray plus add 2 doughnuts and 2 doughnut holes at a time, making sure doughnuts don’t touch. Cook at 375° for 6 minutes, until deeply golden. put on a cooling rack and repeat with remaining dough.
- Dip doughnuts in glaze or follow instructions for cinnamon sugar. Return to a cooling rack and let sit for five minutes before serving.
MAKE THE VANILLA GLAZE:
- In a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, milk, plus vanilla until smooth.
MAKE THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- In a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, plus milk.
MAKE THE CINNAMON SUGAR
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk together cinnamon plus sugar. Brush doughnuts by melted butter and toss in cinnamon sugar.