on which type of Italian Sausage you use. It is always best to get your Italian Sausage straight from the butcher, and to ask what types of seasonings they add to their meat. Many pre-packaged Italian Sausages will include spices that contain Dextrose, Sugar or other additives that are not exactly Keto-friendly.
We wanted to make something that was hearty and filling, but also meal that was full of flavor. By cooking down the Italian Sausage and rendering out the fat to saute the vegetables in, the soup really takes on a rich flavor. Feel free to make any modifications you want to this recipe to make it suit your own taste buds. We always like hearing your suggestions in the comments section, so please be sure to give us your feedback below.
If you are looking to cut Carbohydrates even further on this dish, you can greatly reduce the amount of Carrot, Zucchini, and Yellow Onion used as those are some of the primary sources of natural carbohydrates in this soup. Some people who eat Keto choose not to eat Onions or Carrots all together, but they are not something that you have to completely avoid on Keto.
- 4 Italian Sausage Links (De-cased)
- 4 Cups Fresh Spinach
- 4 Cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Celery Stalks (Diced)
- 2 Carrots (Peeled & Diced)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 2 Small Zucchini (Diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Avocado Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1 Tablespoon Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rosemary
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- Black Pepper (To Taste)
- After prepping your vegetables, Heat up a Large Skillet over Medium-High Heat and add 1 Teaspoon of Avocado Oil.
- Remove the casings from all 4 Italian Sausage links and place them in the Skillet. Break the meat apart into small chunks with a spatula. Cover and Cook for about 5-8 Minutes until mostly browned, but not full cooked.
- Add the diced Carrots, Celery, and Yellow Onion and stir to coat them as evenly as possible in the rendered fat from the Italian Sausage.
- Next add in 4 Cloves of freshly minced Garlic, 1/2 Teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Salt, 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley, 1 Tablespoon Basil, 1 Teaspoon Oregano, 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme, 1/2 Teaspoon Rosemary, and a little bit of Black Pepper to taste. Stir the seasonings around to mix them evenly.
- Carefully pour 4 Cups of Chicken Bone Broth in, and then cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Diced Zucchini, cover again and cook for 3-4 Minutes. The reason that we add the Zucchini later than the other vegetables is because it gets softer faster and we do not want it to get too mushy.
- Add 1 Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream, and 1 Teaspoon of Xanthan Gum to help thicken the soup a little.
- Finally you will add in 4 Cups of Fresh Spinach, and stir that in until it has wilted. Usually this will only take a couple minutes to wilt down, and once that has happened your Keto Creamy Sausage and Veggie Soup will be ready to serve.