Tasty layers of beef, potatoes, and cheese in this beef and potato au gratin made simply in the Instant Pot – a definite winner for any family!
I don’t know too many public who aren’t in love with potatoes. Around here, the kids dump ketchup on them while the adults tend to heap on the butter and sour cream.
For this beef and potato au gratin, we browned up ground beef and layered with potatoes and cheese for an easy dish ready in the Instant Pot.
INSTANT POT BEEF AND POTATO AU GRATIN
This recipe uses a few easy ingredients – potatoes, ground beef, cheese, chicken broth, and spices. I took this recipe from The Magical Slow Cooker and modified it for my Instant Pot. You can also make it in your slow cooker but it will take a bit longer.
Grease the bottom of your Instant Pot actually well with a little olive oil or coconut oil. Then make three layers, alternating between potatoes, ground beef, and cheese.
After you layer, pour 1/2 – 3/4 C. of chicken broth over the top of all. Lock the lid to seal the valve. Set your timer for fifteen minutes on high pressure and allow the cooker to do its thing.
- 1 lb browned ground beef seasoned well with salt and pepper
- 5 russet potatoes peeled and sliced in 1/4″ slices
- 1.5 C shredded cheddar or sharp cheese
- 3/4 C chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning we used a blend of basil, marjoram, oregano and thyme or your own seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- First, at the bottom of your clean Instant Pot, add the olive oil and use a napkin to wipe it evenly around as to coat it totally.
- After, Combine the Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- In your Instant Pot, layer the sliced potatoes, next sprinkle a portion of the ground beef and top with shredded cheese. Generously season with 1/3 of the seasoning you set aside in the bowl.
- Repeat twice more, layering potatoes, ground beef, cheese, and additional seasoning.
- Once all three layers are done, pour over 3/4 C. chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and seal the valve. Set the Instant Pot for fifteen minutes at high pressure.
- Once the pot beeps done, release the pressure and dish into bowls.
Feel free to do two layers of potatoes, beef, and cheese, and then reduce the broth to just 1/2 C. for the same amount of cooking time.
Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 1034mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 486IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 253mg | Iron: 4mg